Saturday, April 11, 2009

Parental Alienation #7 What Can the Courts Do?

Parental Alienation: What Can the Courts Do?:
· Recognize early the symptoms of alienation. Intervene quickly.
· Don't let attorneys use unfounded delay tactics like continuances.
· Order parents into therapy (family systems therapy), hopefully before they come to an agreement on a Shared Parenting Plan.
· Order a Guardian Ad Litem to monitor compliance and report to the court.
· Don't withhold visits unless there is a question about the child's safety. There is always the risk that withholding visits will reinforce alienation and increase the risk that the child will believe there is something wrong with the targeted parent.
· Give the parents an opportunity to speak before the court.
· If the child is already alienated, order therapy for the child.Provided by Douglas Darnell, Ph.D.

No comments: