With Mothers Day right around the corner I thought it would be helpfull to have some suggestions for all of you involved in any way with a Stepmother.
You see, most of the "rights' outlined below I have already come to decide (even demand at times) for myself but only after many tears, arguments and a lot of very hard feelings, hopefully my marriage is strong enough to survive having had to live each and every experience listed below. No one should (stepmoms) ever have to be put in a situation where these Step Mom's Bill of Rights is ever taken for granted.
1. I will be part of the decision-making process in my marriage and family at all times.
2. People outside the immediate family - including ex-wives, in-laws and adult children - cannot make plans that affect my life or plans without my consent.
3. I will not be responsible for the welfare of children for whom I can set no limits or boundaries.
4. I must be consulted about which children will live with us, when they can visit and how long they will stay.
5. I will not be solely responsible for housework; chores will be distributed fairly and equally.
6.I will be consulted regarding all family financial matters.
7. Others may not violate my private space at home, nor take or use my possessions without my permission ever.
8.I will never be treated as an "outsider" in my own home.
9. My husband and stepchildren must treat me with respect.
10. Our marriage is our very first priority, and we will address all issues together.